What does the ABCDE do?
The Arkansas Bankers Coalition is a non-profit organization dedicated to ensuring the resiliency and availability of Arkansas’ financial community by:
- Establishing a climate of cooperation between financial institutions and public and private entities
- Collaborating with federal, state and local entities on emergency evacuation and credentialing strategies
- Enhancing communication between financial institutions and public and private entities
- Facilitating dissemination of pertinent information in the event of a disaster
- Encouraging effective disaster relief legislation and policy
- Ensuring the public sector knows the importance placed on financial services being available during disasters or emergencies
In 2003 the U.S. Treasury department directed the Financial and Banking Information Infrastructure Committee and worked with the Financial Services Sector Coordinating council to encourage the financial services sector to establish public and private partnerships across the country through the formation of regional coalitions.
Regional coalitions bring financial services sector organizations together to achieve a common goal of facilitating the recovery of the sector following a natural disaster, such as our spring tornadoes and floods, or a man-made attack. By fostering an environment of cooperation and of building relationships with federal, state and local governments before a disaster, regional coalitions promote continuity of the critical financial services to the communities they serve.
All Arkansas banks will soon be receiving information on joining the ABCDE. We encourage you to support this coalition so that we can guarantee the vital services our community banks provide the citizens of Arkansas will be available when they are most needed.
The ABCDE will establish a network with the public sector as well as other critical sectors to facilitate the flow of information before, during and after a disaster. Our goal is to develop strategic partnerships with:
- City, county, state emergency management agencies
- Department of Homeland Security State representatives
- Law enforcement
- Fire and other first responders
- FBI InfraGard
- Federal and State financial regulators
- Utility companies
- Telecommunication companies and others
The following are highlights of accomplishments thus far:
- Formed a Board of Directors with representation from all 5 regions of the state.
- Created a website for communication and access to detailed information.
- Establishe the Coalition as a non-profit 501 (c) corporation.
We are actively pursuing other goals that may soon be added to our list of accomplishments:
- Become part of the national Regional Partnership Council for Emergency Preparedness by the Financial Sector.
- Reach out to all Arkansas banks to become members of the Coalition
- Establish a Credential badge approved by the State Emergency Management Association.
- Gaining a seat on County and State EOC.
- Develop a communication database to provide assistance in the event of a disaster in a region of the state